Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Turkey Day???


So I walk into my grandma's house yesterday and there was a sign "Happy Turkey Day" made by my little cousin who is 10.. now I understand she is only 10 and may not understand the importance of Thanksgiving...but where do you think she learned that from . I see it all around in stores, on school signs, on tv and radio... we are losing the meaning of holidays. I think it is so sad, that we have lost the real meaning of Thanksgiving, and have turned it into a day where we eat and watch football. I think it is ridiculous that we sit down for 45 min, say negative things about how the food tastes and then its over. I was listening to the radio the other day and they were selling pre-made Thanksgiving dinners, advertising "Don't bother with the hassle of making Thanksgiving dinner...." The hassle... is that all this holiday is anymore is a hassle. I want to sit and appreciate my family. Enjoy conversation, enjoy each other. Take our time eating... and be Thankful for what I have. Many people around the world didn't even eat yesterday... and we are so selfish we can't even appreciate what we do have on a Holiday that calls for Thanks giving... the giving of thanks for what we have. But who am I kidding anymore... America has turned this Holiday from Thanksgiving... into Turkey day....

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Megan! You can begin to change it in your family a little at a time and then when you have a family of your own you can make your own traditions. One cute little tradition we just started this year: While eating breakfast on thanksgiving morning we had everyone say what they were thankful for. We wrote the answers on a white table cloth in permanent marker. Next year and hopefully many years to come we can bring it out again and again and fill it up. We can continue to use it as a tablecloth for out thanksgving meals! I just thought that idea was so cute. I stole it from someone else and hopefully other people use it too. I agree with you we have distorted the meaning of holidays in general. Easter is no longer about the resurection of our Lord. It is about chocolate bunnies and baskets. Christmas is all about Santa and thanksgiving is no longer about giving God our thanks. Keep influencing those around you! I know you do.

    ReplyDelete